This is my second time attempting this…some how I lost the first one. Waah, I hate it when that happens because I can never remember exactly what I wrote and it’s always better the first time. Anyway, here we go…

Yesterday was another beautiful day! Mid-hi 70Fs and must have been pushing 80F in direct sun…I forgot to check the thermometer when the sun finally got around to shining on it…but I can gauge it pretty well by feel now. I forgot my sunscreen again but seemed to have escaped burning…except on my forehead a little…that’s attractive! LOL

We finally managed to get outside around 1pm yesterday. I started digging and pulling up sod next to the west wall of the shed so that we can put a looooong box there specifically for the Hollyhocks. I’m not sure what else I’ll put in there just yet…more flowers or herbs or veggies…not sure… Since that is where the strawberries were, I was also digging up those as I went along and setting them aside to go into their own box. The logs for the “real” greenhouse have to be hauled around and re-situated so we are trying to keep all the gardening “stuff” close to the shed out of the way. That means moving the main garden box from last year too. So, with that in mind, I began to remove the dirt to use in the potato boxes which I had lined up in front of where I want the long box with space in between for weeding purposes. I read a long time ago about a man who used old tires to stack up and grow potatoes in. Well, not wanting old ugly tires stacked around our backyard, we have decided to motify the concept using 2 ft x 2 ft stackable boxes. The idea is that as the potato plant grows taller you stack another box on top and cover the plant forcing it up even more producing a longer root system and thus a good amount of potatoes on one plant. For harvesting, you remove a box at a time and brush off the dirt and viola’ there are the potatoes just waiting there for you to grab. Sounds great! We’ll see how it works out… So, I moved enough dirt to fill and plant two of the potatoes that needed it the most with 2 boxes apiece. I forgot to mention that dh had made these when he started the coldframe/greenhouse. He now needs to make more…I hope the other two potatoes hold out… After that, I started some more seeds in the greenhouse! It isn’t quite done. Dh has been working on it a little bit here and there over the past few days. There are only a couple of spaces near the top that still need plastic…so almost done! 🙂 It sure did get toasty in there though…I was close to sweating just standing in there planting seeds. Yay!

That about wrapped up the day. We went in for dinner, story and bedtime. After the children were in bed, I had to go out and cover the potatoes with plastic as the night before dropped down into the hi 30Fs and I didn’t want to take any chances. Last night, it stayed above 40F so I think they are ok…I’ll go out soon and check.

As I’m typing, I can see that some leaves actually beginning to open up on some of the raspberry canes. I really must get out today and finish up raking/trimming/weeding in there. My vision is to make it like an English garden. Dh built a log/twig bench in there a couple of years ago and has most of the paths lined with rocks but it’s been a while since we really did much of anything else…in fact last year we didn’t do anything…didn’t even get the old canes cut back. I started to (as mentioned in the archives of my main blog) but pooped out early. I did have a newborn though…so I can’t be too hard on myself. 😉 This year though I have big plans for it…granted I’ll be as big as my plans too! We’ll see how it all pans out I guess… 😉

That’s it for gardening news right now. This was definitely an edited version of the previous post I had…oh well. I think I managed to remember all the main points. LOL Check the left side bar for what’s new…

A blessed day to all! 🙂

Advertisements