**COMMENTS ARE NOW CLOSED!!**
The holiday season is fast approaching and we thought this would be a great time to jump on the “giveaway bandwagon.” (I know we’re slow on the uptake with this but we’ve never been ones to follow the crowd/trends. 😉 )
Anyhow, beginning at Midnight October 29, 2007 AKDT (that’s tomorrow 😉 ), we’ll be participating in this giveaway…
and here is what we are giving away:
One of our simple (yet beautiful 🙂 ) Alaskan Birch Ulu Knives!
“What in the word is an ulu and how do you pronounce it anyway?”, you ask.
Well, an ulu is only the simplest easiest knife around! And, it’s pronounced “oo-lu.”
All those striving for a more simple life will appreciate both the look of our gift and how it can work for you. 😉
Wondering about the design and history of the ulu? Well, let me tell you in a nutshell…
Thousands of years ago, ancient indigenous people of the arctic regions fashioned a knife that helped them survive in a forbidding environment. Ancient ulu blades were made from slate or bone and the curved side was rubbed to a keen edge. Handles were made of bone, wood, ivory or antler and often became works of art in the hands of skilled carvers. Ulus were used for cutting meat and eating as well as splitting hides and cutting patterns and sinews for sewing. The materials have changed but the semicircular design that made the ulu so versatile and easy to use has endured. Even today, descendants of the early Native peoples prefer the ulu over modern knives for its efficiency and ease of use. It is also appreciated by those of non-ethnic descent for it ergonomic design making it a desired tool in every modern kitchen.
Now, here are the rules:
1. U.S. residents only. (My apologies to our Canadian friends. I’m just not sure what possible restrictions there could be on items of this sort. I’ll do a bit of research and if it’s favorable and we host another giveaway then we will include you as well.)
2. Post at your blog about our giveaway with a link so others can find us. Then, leave a comment here under this post with a link to your post.
3. Don’t have a blog? Then you must email 5 other people telling them about our giveaway and then email us proof. (Copy/paste the header portion of the email(s) showing the sender, time and recipients.) Our email address is: wayne [AT] waynehunt [DOT] com) Put in your subject line: Blog Giveaway.
4. No duplicate entries.
5. Contest closes at Midnight AKDT on Nov. 3, 2007 That means you have until 11.59+59 sec. pm ALASKA time to get your entry in – no exceptions. Since we are the next to last time zone, that should be a snap! 😉 We are 4 hours behind the East coast, 3 hours behind Central, 2 hours behind Mountain and 1 hour behind Pacific. As Hawaiians know, we share part of a time zone but otherwise you are one hour behind. 🙂
6. We will draw a winner November 3, 2007 and announce it here on November 4th as well notifying the winner by email. (Be sure you have a valid email address included with your comment.) The winner will have 48 hours to respond. If the winner does not respond, we will draw again from the original pool of entrants with the same requirements.
If you would like to view a larger version of the ulu picture, please visit our website and click on the BU1 picture near the bottom of the page.
So, come back tomorrow and let the fun begin! 🙂
♥ oxoxox ♥