We had a wonderful breakfast the other day! Since going gluten-free (an update I haven’t mentioned here until now. 😉 ), we haven’t had much in the way of bread type products. Mostly corn tortillas which got old fast but I was too busy and too new (in the hands on dept.) to this way of feeding my family to change it as soon as I wanted.
I had made some biscuits and rolls from scratch and a cake. I also had made bread from a mix a couple of times. Oh, and of course, pancakes. But that’s not much considering we’ve been “in transition” seriously since August (?). (We had half-heartedly attempted it a few times before this as I’ve known my father is (officially) celiac for several years now and suspected it for me and a few of the children. The symptoms were just finally too overwhelming to ignore any more. 😦 )
Anyhow, I’m getting more and more familiar with using “alternative” flours and the bread I made this morning was so yummy that it just made the whole meal. It pretty much was the whole meal as we just had that and fruit salad (apples, oranges, pears, grapes and plums) and Kombucha – but it turned out to be just the change we need and was declared the “best breakfast” we’ve had in a while. I like our breakfast burritos…but, like I said above, tortillas had gotten kinda old. 😉
Tamara’s Cranbanana Bread (GF)
1 stick butter
½ C shortening (organic, non-hydrogenated such as Spectrum) *
6 medium very ripe bananas
2 C rice flour
2 C millet flour
1 C sugar
1 C brown sugar
4 tsp baking powder
2 tsp vanilla
½ C shredded coconut
½ C cranberries (wildcrafted from my parents homestead, also known as low bush cranberries or Lingonberries.)
1) Cream butter, shortening and sugar in a large mixing bowl.
2) Beat in eggs, vanilla and bananas.
3) In a separate bowl, mix flours and baking powder together.
4) Combine dry ingredients with wet and beat until dry ingredients are moist.
5) Gently fold in coconut and cranberries.
6) Grease two 5 x 9 in. loaf pans and divide batter between them. (Or, use a muffin pan! We made one loaf of bread and the rest of the batter into muffins.)
7) Bake bread in a 325°F oven for 1 hr. 20 min. or until a toothpick comes out clean. Do not under bake! Muffins will take approx. ½ the time – sorry, I didn’t time it exactly. Just keep watch for a nice golden color on top and that each muffin is pulling away from the side of the cup.
* Note: So as not to be redundant, all ingredients are natural, raw, free range, pastured, and/or organic, gluten-free, etc. In other words, the best most healthful choice available for that product. Azure is my “store” of choice.
© 2008 Tamara Hunt
I may tweak this recipe in the future…I’m always tweaking things. May add nuts next time, may reduce it by one banana, may add orange peel, may reduce the sugar and/or leave out the brown sugar, etc. I love experimenting in the kitchen! 😀
Be sure to come back and tell me how they turned out for you! Enjoy!
This recipe was inspired by the one found here.